Saturday, May 4, 2013

A Sailing story: Knock-down in Tallinn Bay



 A few years ago I spent a summer sailing in the Baltic with my good friend John Baker.  Mostly it was easy sailing and sunny days. Then this.


I’m hauling up the main and putting in two reefs because today is the windiest day of our three week cruise in the Baltic.  My gut is knotted and my jaw is tense.  The sea is lumpy and choppy and uncomfortable.  We get underway and I spend way too long fiddling with the buckle of my safety harness.  I’m tetchy with the skipper for not showing me how to use it before we left the safety and calmness of the marina.  He’s tetchy back.  He’s concentrating on the channel markers, trying to avoid the commercial traffic while I, the rookie crew member fiddle with a simple buckle on the harness.  Eventually I clip onto the ring on the side of the cockpit and I’m safe.

It’s an exhausting day. I’m constantly braced against the cockpit, legs on the opposite bench, arm crooked over the cockpit side, trying to keep my seat.  Trying not to be thrown from one side of the boat to the other.  When I’m hungry or thirsty I just have to bear it.  My stomach hovers just on the right side of nausea but I’m not risking a visit to the galley in case nausea gets the better of me. 

The skipper checks the level of water in the bilges.  He’s below for five minutes, peering into crevices and bilges with a torch.  Then he scrambles onto the deck and collapses on his back and closes his eyes.  He’s white and quiet for ten minutes.  I’m a little disconcerted that such an experienced seaman is feeling bad but at the same time heartened that the discomfort in my stomach and dullness in my head are not just the result of inexperience.  While he recovers I’m at the tiller, bracing and shifting my weight, staying focussed on the direction of the boat, of the wind and of our course on the satnav screen.

I’m irritable as well as nauseous.  We should have waited another day in Helsinki before attempting the long crossing to Tallinn, Estonia’s capital.  The forecast is for strong winds and rain and all the weather is coming from where we want to go.  I know we can’t sail into the wind.  We have to motor almost into the wind all day.  It’s wet from both the rain and the spray from the fractious and unpredictable chop.  I’m moody and sulky and quiet and pissed off at the skipper because it’s his fault that I’m cold and wet.  I’m picking up bruises from collisions with the teak deck.

Hour after miserable hour I gaze out into the grey wet day.  Reading is impossible, a sure way to ensure breakfast is regurgitated onto the deck.  I’m afraid to go below for the same reason and I decide that it’s too bumpy to attempt sleep. 

Fast ferries plough past from Tallinn and Helsinki.  Appearing and disappearing in a mass of spray, passengers invisible behind tinted windows.  I imagine them warm and sipping coffee or quaffing beer as I duck, unsuccessfully, another bucketful of the Baltic.

Now I see the outline of the Estonian coast, low and dark on the monochromatic horizon.  After hours of monotonous seascape I can see our destination.  Another rainy squall hits us, stronger and more intense than the last.  The wind speed indicator shoots up from twenty-three knots to thirty-odd.  It feels manageable, no need for any drastic action.  The grey sheets of rain close in around us;  visibility decreases to a few boat-lengths.  And then the squall is gone.  Moving out into the Baltic it sweeps down in vertical lines from steely clouds to steely sea.  The skipper pumps sea and rainwater from the bilges.  The dark line on the horizon is more substantial now.  I can make out a tower, just a blip above the low ridge of land. 

More commercial shipping activity is funnelling in and out of Tallinn Bay.  We’re more vigilant.  Large commercial ships are unlikely to give us much quarter.  It’s up to us to get out of the way.  We struggle to keep some wind in the sails and the boat’s engine throbs away below keeping us edging towards the harbour.

Then I notice that the clouds in the distance off the starboard bow have reached down in a black curtain to the sea.  We watch it for a while.  It’s travelling fast.  The sea turning to the black of the sky.  We roll up the jib but keep up the mainsail with its two reefs. 

The black squall closes in fast.  I say how much blacker it is than the last one we weathered. The one that spun our wind vane to thirty-five knots.  Should we take down the main?  No, we’ll leave it up for a bit longer.

When it hits the violence of it shocks me.  The sudden blast of stinging rain feels as if someone had flipped the switch in a wind-tunnel.  I’m sitting to starboard, on the windward side of the cockpit as the boat pushed hard over onto its port rail.  The skipper heads us directly into the squall and opens the throttle.  The engine growls defiantly.  I swallow hard, squinting into the rain, now like millions of needles attacking my face.  The wind dial shows 35 knots, then 40.  Jesus!  But it doesn’t stop there. The skipper is struggling to keep us heading into the wind.  The main keeps filling and pushing the bow out of the wind, tilting the boat at an alarming angle.  45 knots.  The port rail is in the water and the sea is rushing along the deck.  The wind screams and roars and I feel an icy hand clawing at my gut.  47 knots.  It’s got to peak out soon.  The skipper, as if reading my thoughts, says that these squalls don’t last long.  His eyes are wide, concentration, focus.  Should we take down the main?  No, it’s too wild.  Too dangerous for only one man to handle it’s flapping madnes.  We bite hard.  More throttle, almost at the engine’s limits.  Rocks on the satnav map are getting closer.  The squall has to stop soon or the rocks will stop us.  Did you notice where those ships were before the squall hit?  I’d forgotten.  50 knots.  Oh, fucking hell!  The boat is pushed over, further and further, a wave hits, I’m standing up straight clinging to the cockpit.  The wave surges down my back, inside my waterproofs but I don’t care.  The boat is on its side, sails nearly in the water, I’m looking straight into the Baltic Ocean, just below my feet.  Trying not to fall, I’m hooked in but how would I get back into the boat in this?

But that’s the worst of it.  The wind drops to 45 knots and it feels easy and manageable now.  43 knots and we’ve put the boat back on course.  37 knots and I’m sitting to leeward thinking of family. The adrenalin recedes.  Relief and exhilaration and euphoria mix and I shout profanities into the sky and laugh and we recount it all to each other over and over again on the way into the marina and later over a few beers.  I feel more alive than in many years and marvel at the lack of fear in the moment I was staring down into the water;  the moment when the sail seemed as if it were about to dip into the Baltic Sea, the moment when life was real, not the meaningless, monotonous grind of workaday.

No comments:

Post a Comment