Friday, April 10, 2020

Overquarantined Sailors


We have been moved from our quarantined yacht on the end of the immigration dock, to a hotel in the southern suburbs.

We went from being four men on a small sail-boat, to solitary confinement. From cooking for ourselves and baking bread, we went to airline meals. From a larder of snacks and a stash of beer and wine, to a couple of teabags and tap water (disclosure: I did bring a stash of ground coffee and a little coffee-maker gadget). Although I’m enjoying the privacy, the space and a bathroom of my own, it’s still a contrast that is taking some getting used to. No need for sound-camo now.

Quarantining returnees to the country is important. I have completely bought into the reasons. Isolation is important. The lockdown is essential. The end of logic, not so much.

These are extraordinary times and the measures governments are taking are unprecedented. I’m on board. I’m a conformer. I understand that every nuance, every set of personal circumstances cannot be catered for in the regulations. But science should be the guide.

Add the time we were at sea on our passage back to Cape Town from Luderitz, to the time the government has had us in quarantine for, and we have had more than two weeks of isolation. Not a seal, a penguin or even a storm petrel came close enough to us to pass a disease. The closest human during our passage was over a nautical mile away (1.85 km in landlubber money) on an ore carrier. Probably the closest human contact we will have had in the last two weeks is with the health officials who have us under their care and control. And with the possibility of new arrivals in the quarantine facility, we are probably more at risk here than sitting at home with our partners and kids.

The doctor, nurses and other staff at this repurposed hotel have all been fabulous. They’re friendly and very professional. I’m grateful that across the country people like these are putting their own health at risk to deal with this pandemic. This needs to be said loudly and often. They are the heroes of the hour.

To be fair, I’ve eaten much worse food. And I can do without a beer or glass of wine with my dinner. The accommodation is very comfortable. I have two double beds in my room and if I want to I can sleep in a different bed every night and swap from one side to the other for variety. I have free WiFi so I’m able to have video calls with my wife. I’m in a kind of luxury solitary confinement. But please, please, please, can we have a bit of scientific sense? My fellow crew and I are of no threat. All we are doing is costing the government money that should be spent on more important things. We’ve been in isolation for more than enough time and we have our satellite track to prove it. Maybe someone in authority will see sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment